NFL

RSS for NFL
USA Today features Jimmy Raye as trailblazer

USA Today features Jimmy Raye as trailblazer

Many thanks to USA Today ’s NFL writer Jarrett Bell for his excellent story on Jimmy Raye in the USA Today’s Special Edition for Black History Month. Click here: USA Today on-line version of Jimmy Raye feature written by USA Today writer Jarrett Bell. The story, with...

Arizona celebrates while San Diego watches from afar

Arizona celebrates while San Diego watches from afar

As the Super Bowl plays out today in a domed stadium named for an on-line university in the Phoenix suburb of Glendale, Ariz., I'm reminded of words offered by Glendale's mayor eight years ago. She expressed her before-and-after opinions of building the stadium that now houses...

Words Lynch needs to hear once offered to Allen and Davis

Words Lynch needs to hear once offered to Allen and Davis

From the third to last graph: "I've told Marcus, Terrell and Akili Smith, 'I will never ask you for anything because it's got to be something you want to do,' " said Lincoln principal Wendell Bass said. "But I tell them what they do owe us is to be a gentleman and to be...

LT labeled Belichick and his culture eight years ago

LT labeled Belichick and his culture eight years ago

LaDainian Tomlinson got it right the first time regarding Bill Belichick’s character and the culture of the New England Patriots. That was eight years ago. Let’s step back to the 2006 season when Tomlinson was still with the Chargers. San Diego was the No. 1 seed with a...

Coaching cat John Fox lands on feet again

Coaching cat John Fox lands on feet again

Once again, John Fox’s time in the unemployment line didn't last long. Click here for my 2002 Fox story: Fox as Carolina's new head coach in 2002Shortly after his nine-year run as the Carolina Panthers’ head coach – including one Super Bowl – came to an end with the 2010...

A look back to 2002 at Fox as new Carolina head coach

A look back to 2002 at Fox as new Carolina head coach

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers' practice field and the coaches' offices in Ericsson Stadium are connected by a sidewalk that winds through a park-like setting.New Panthers coach John Fox is making the walk after a summer school practice in June. He stops for fans...

KOC at attention for Army broadcast debut on CBS

KOC at attention for Army broadcast debut on CBS

Kevin O’Connell spent a sunny San Diego Labor Day indoors studying video for his debut as the CBS television analyst for Army football when the Black Knights meet Buffalo at noon Saturday at Michie Stadium. O’Connell is only two years removed from the NFL and one season from his...

Stanford two sport man pursues NFL draft

Stanford two sport man pursues NFL draft

Beano Cook, the late football historian, publicist extraordinaire and TV/radio personality, would have loved Tyler Gaffney. The former Stanford running back would have captured his football-shaped heart for continuing to pursue his gridiron potential while he put his baseball...

Peyton Mannings legacy secure with one Super Bowl

Peyton Mannings legacy secure with one Super Bowl

If I hear one more talking head question the legacy of Denver quarterback Peyton Manning based on the outcome of Super Bowl XLVIII (granted, Manning’s Broncos lost to Seattle 43-8), I might slip into a coma.If such reasoning becomes accepted, I might emerge from that coma...

Defending Marshawn Lynch

Defending Marshawn Lynch

Here’s my defense of Marshawn Lynch:The Seattle Seahawks running back has been called everything from Greta Garbo for his three-word answers during the season and a thug for his failure to appear at Tuesday’s NFL media day with his thoughts buried between headphones.Thug, now...