NFL

RSS for NFL
NFL staged modern draft too late for Bubba

NFL staged modern draft too late for Bubba

Bubba Smith loved a stage, but the 1967 NFL Draft was a shadow of its modern-day TV show with Oscar-like glitter it is now. Imagine if the Michigan State legend turned Miller Lite pitchman and Hollywood actor was taken No. 1 overall in the modern draft. So I asked one of Smith’s...

Cousins completes every call from TV booth

Cousins completes every call from TV booth

Kirk Cousins, the NFL quarterback and Captain Kirk of Michigan State’s revival seasons, demonstrated again he can command a TV booth while working the Spartans’ Green and White spring game Saturday as a Big Ten Network analyst. What once was considered a treat when Cousins first...

Harbaugh discovered QB that was better side of Marshawn Lynch

Harbaugh discovered QB that was better side of Marshawn Lynch

This is my story from 2008 on Josh Johnson, who was coached by Jim Harbaugh when they were at the University of San Diego, Harbaugh's first job as a head coach.Josh represents the good side of his childhood and high school buddy, Marshawn Lynch. Johnson has been a career backup...

The dope on bogus NFL scouting 40 times

The dope on bogus NFL scouting 40 times

By the end of the NFL Combine workouts next week, you’ll hear about a dozen or so guys that supposedly ran a 40-yard time in 4.4 seconds. Never mind that you never heard of some of them. You might even hear about one or two who claim to have run 4.3. Two wide receivers...

USA Today features Jimmy Raye as trailblazer

USA Today features Jimmy Raye as trailblazer

Many thanks to USA Today ’s NFL writer Jarrett Bell for his excellent story on Jimmy Raye in the USA Today’s Special Edition for Black History Month. Click here: USA Today on-line version of Jimmy Raye feature written by USA Today writer Jarrett Bell. The story, with...

Arizona celebrates while San Diego watches from afar

Arizona celebrates while San Diego watches from afar

As the Super Bowl plays out today in a domed stadium named for an on-line university in the Phoenix suburb of Glendale, Ariz., I'm reminded of words offered by Glendale's mayor eight years ago. She expressed her before-and-after opinions of building the stadium that now houses...

Words Lynch needs to hear once offered to Allen and Davis

Words Lynch needs to hear once offered to Allen and Davis

From the third to last graph: "I've told Marcus, Terrell and Akili Smith, 'I will never ask you for anything because it's got to be something you want to do,' " said Lincoln principal Wendell Bass said. "But I tell them what they do owe us is to be a gentleman and to be...

LT labeled Belichick and his culture eight years ago

LT labeled Belichick and his culture eight years ago

LaDainian Tomlinson got it right the first time regarding Bill Belichick’s character and the culture of the New England Patriots. That was eight years ago. Let’s step back to the 2006 season when Tomlinson was still with the Chargers. San Diego was the No. 1 seed with a...

Coaching cat John Fox lands on feet again

Coaching cat John Fox lands on feet again

Once again, John Fox’s time in the unemployment line didn't last long. Click here for my 2002 Fox story: Fox as Carolina's new head coach in 2002Shortly after his nine-year run as the Carolina Panthers’ head coach – including one Super Bowl – came to an end with the 2010...

A look back to 2002 at Fox as new Carolina head coach

A look back to 2002 at Fox as new Carolina head coach

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers' practice field and the coaches' offices in Ericsson Stadium are connected by a sidewalk that winds through a park-like setting.New Panthers coach John Fox is making the walk after a summer school practice in June. He stops for fans...