NFL

RSS for NFL
My 1988 story on Junior Seau and his USC debut

My 1988 story on Junior Seau and his USC debut

My look back at Junior Seau. He will be the first Samoan enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Aug. 8 in Canton, Ohio. Check my website later for another story with my thoughts on Junior and the brain damage he suffered from too many concussions.August 13, 1988, San Diego...

Jimmy Raye on The Drive with Jack radio program

Jimmy Raye on The Drive with Jack radio program

Jimmy Raye was a recent guest on The Drive with Jack. Host Jack Ebling and co-host Graham Couch, a columnist at the Lansing State Journal, invited Raye to talk about the upcoming 50th anniversary of the Spartans' 1965 national championship team -- the first of back-to-back Big...

Sanders and Raye were old rivals and friends

Sanders and Raye were old rivals and friends

Tributes blanketed the NFL and college football with news that the great Charlie Sanders, a Pro Football Hall of Fame tight end with the Detroit Lions and All-Big Ten pick at the University of Minnesota, passed away on Thursday at age 68 following a seventh-month battle with...

Sam explores history in city accepting trailblazers

Sam explores history in city accepting trailblazers

History often comes full circle, and Michael Sam signing with the Montreal Alouettes is yet another example.Sam joins the Canadian Football League franchise this week, a year after he was the first openly gay player drafted by an NFL team, the St. Louis Rams. The Alouettes have...

Jimmy Raye bio entering 39th NFL season

Jimmy Raye bio entering 39th NFL season

Jimmy Raye's pioneering football career spans a half-century as quarterback at Michigan State, an NFL assistant coach, offensive coordinator and NFL Senior Advisor. The 2015 season is Raye’s 39th in the league and second as an advisor to NFL Vice President of Operations Troy...

Raye on how NFL teams read Michigan State

Raye on how NFL teams read Michigan State

They call it “The Reading.” When NFL teams are in the final stages of preparing for the draft, they set aside a day or two when the general manager, player personnel executives, the coaching staff and scouts gather in a conference room. They read through the reports...

NFL staged modern draft too late for Bubba

NFL staged modern draft too late for Bubba

Bubba Smith loved a stage, but the 1967 NFL Draft was a shadow of its modern-day TV show with Oscar-like glitter it is now. Imagine if the Michigan State legend turned Miller Lite pitchman and Hollywood actor was taken No. 1 overall in the modern draft. So I asked one of Smith’s...

Cousins completes every call from TV booth

Cousins completes every call from TV booth

Kirk Cousins, the NFL quarterback and Captain Kirk of Michigan State’s revival seasons, demonstrated again he can command a TV booth while working the Spartans’ Green and White spring game Saturday as a Big Ten Network analyst. What once was considered a treat when Cousins first...

Harbaugh discovered QB that was better side of Marshawn Lynch

Harbaugh discovered QB that was better side of Marshawn Lynch

This is my story from 2008 on Josh Johnson, who is preparing for his eighth NFL season with the Cincinnati Bengals out of the University of San Diego, where he was coached by Jim Harbaugh in his first job as a head coach.Josh represents the good side of his childhood and high...

The dope on bogus NFL scouting 40 times

The dope on bogus NFL scouting 40 times

By the end of the NFL Combine workouts next week, you’ll hear about a dozen or so guys that supposedly ran a 40-yard time in 4.4 seconds. Never mind that you never heard of some of them. You might even hear about one or two who claim to have run 4.3. Two wide receivers...