NFL

RSS for NFL
Navy seniors made the cut

Navy seniors made the cut

The Navy football program sent out a draft-like Twitter post with a composite photo coinciding with the 2016 NFL Draft in late April. It featured head shots of Navy’s seniors about to graduate with this headline:ALL 32 SENIORS WERE SELECTED IN THE FIRST ROUND TO THE...

Rooney Rule vs NFL Symposium

Rooney Rule vs NFL Symposium

Click here: This story is the Epilogue chapter from the book Raye of LightRaye of Light with Foreword by Tony Dungy  ...

Tony Dungy thanks Jimmy Raye and other pioneers

Tony Dungy thanks Jimmy Raye and other pioneers

Jimmy Raye coached 37 years in the NFL. He worked for 10 different teams and helped several players get to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but he had never been to Canton, Ohio, for an enshrinement ceremony until last weekend.Sitting in the crowd, he listened as former Bucs coach...

Don Coryell belongs in Hall of Fame

Don Coryell belongs in Hall of Fame

This weekend's Pro Football Hall of Fame ceremonies and an excellent story Clark Judge wrote for Talk of Fame Sports reminded me of a story I wrote in 2008 for Voice of San Diego making a case for Don Coryell's enshrinement in Canton, Ohio. Note the research on Pro...

Doctor Bonds contributes beyond football career

Doctor Bonds contributes beyond football career

This time of year that rare Army, Navy or Air Force football player whose name is called in the NFL Draft brings unique attention to his program’s talent level. After all, it’s takes more than athletic skill to be drafted out of a service academy.There are hitches involved....

Plenty of options await Grand Old Manning

Plenty of options await Grand Old Manning

Few people expect Peyton Manning will return at age 40 for another NFL season in 2016, especially after he received the gift of a late-season comeback from a foot injury to lead the Denver Broncos to Super Bowl 50.So, win or lose on Sunday against the Carolina Panthers and...

More memories of Junior Seau

More memories of Junior Seau

As the San Diego Chargers honor Junior Seau posthumously for his induction into  the Pro Football Hall of Fame, I have my own memories that date to the first time I learned about him as a 9-year-old in Oceanside, Calif.I could go on long beyond 11 memories – signifying his...

Junior Seau final act educated us about CTE

Junior Seau final act educated us about CTE

I once shared your shock and sadness over Junior Seau’s suicide. Now I only share sadness, thanks to Junior educating us about the link between concussions and the degenerative brain disease Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy.The larger-than-life linebacker killed himself on May 2,...

Hall of Fame speech advice for Sydney Seau

Hall of Fame speech advice for Sydney Seau

First Sydney Seau and her family felt disappointment. Now Junior Seau's only daughter – whom he wanted to speak for her if he was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame -- must be filled with enough butterflies to fill a Super Bowl stadium. The Hall made the right...

My 1989 story on Junior Seau and his All American season

My 1989 story on Junior Seau and his All American season

My look back at Junior Seau. He will be the first Samoan enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Aug. 8 in Canton, Ohio. I plan to post another story soon with my memories of Junior and thoughts on his brain damage from concussions and his death.Nov. 17, 1989, San Diego...