Michigan State

RSS for Michigan State
Final Four tells story of superior Big Ten depth

Final Four tells story of superior Big Ten depth

I’ve long held the opinion that ACC basketball with its romantic Tobacco Road label receives too much credit and Big Ten basketball is unfairly treated as a whipping boy.The national reaction when Duke or North Carolina is upset in an early round game is, “That’s March Madness!”...

Oklahoma passes Michigan State for top program

Oklahoma passes Michigan State for top program

The Oklahoma and Michigan State football and basketball programs ranked 1-2 for 2015-16 with the highest combined national rankings in college athletics’ revenue sports.The unique ranking is something I came up with three years ago when Michigan State, my alma mater, piqued my...

Virginia looks ahead without Michigan State to face in Chicago

Virginia looks ahead without Michigan State to face in Chicago

RALEIGH, N.C. — Virginia can breathe a sigh of relief this week. The Midwest Region’s No. 1 seed can travel to Chicago, the heart of Big Ten country, without worrying about their NCAA nemesis the last two years, Michigan State.As all March Madness fans have been aware since...

Jimmy Raye works with Connor Cook preparing for draft

Jimmy Raye works with Connor Cook preparing for draft

NOTE: Jimmy Raye was the South's first black quarterback to win a national title when the Spartans and Notre Dame played to a 10-10 in the 1966 Game of the Century. The National Football Foundation presented the MacArthur Bowl to the Spartans and Irish as national co-champions....

Precedent and irony surround Michigan spring practices

Precedent and irony surround Michigan spring practices

SEC and ACC football coaches who are howling over Michigan Coach Jim Harbaugh’s upcoming spring football practices in Florida should be reminded there is precedent for a Big Ten school traveling to the South to enhance recruiting.The difference between now and then is when...

Kale Ane followed footsteps of father to coaching

Kale Ane followed footsteps of father to coaching

Charles Teetai Ane Jr.’s recent enshrinement with the Polynesian Hall of Fame Class of 2016 was an opportunity to celebrate Hawaii’s first NFL Pro Bowl player as well as a father-son football bond long famed on the islands.Ane Jr. was inducted posthumously in a ceremony at the...

Saban needs many more years before he can surpass Bryant

Saban needs many more years before he can surpass Bryant

The eminently quotable Bum Phillips, a Paul “Bear” Bryant disciple prior to his own legend as an NFL head coach, once described his old boss’ coaching prowess this way in his familiar Texas drawl:“He can take his’n and beat your’n and take your’n and beat his’n.” ... Click...

Early commitments began with JoePa and Penn State

Early commitments began with JoePa and Penn State

The glossary needed to define the wild, wild world of college football recruiting continues to evolve and expand.I started thinking about this when I read that Michigan State 4-star defensive tackle recruit Naquan Jones of Evanston (Ill.) Township “re-committed” to the Spartans...

Narduzzi established footprint for Pitt future

Narduzzi established footprint for Pitt future

Pitt football finished 8-5 and out of the Top 25 rankings.The Panthers didn’t earn even one vote among “others” in the AP or USA Today polls. Schools such as Western Kentucky, Washington State, Toledo, Appalachian State, Temple and Georgia Southern gained votes to make the list....

Coker surprise hero as Alabama blanks Michigan State

Coker surprise hero as Alabama blanks Michigan State

Nick Saban bumped his perfect record to 9-0 against former assistant coaches, but unless Alabama’s defense-minded boss drew up the offensive game plan, the nation saw why Saban hired Lane Kiffin as his offensive coordinator in 2014.Kiffin came up with a game plan that kept...