Michigan State

RSS for Michigan State
The 1967 NFL Draft that changed face of the league

The 1967 NFL Draft that changed face of the league

A half-century ago the NFL Draft was so low key and simple NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle stood at a chalkboard in a New York hotel ballroom. He scrawled names in chalk as they were called out.The overwhelming anticipation hovering over the draft was not who would go where. It was...

Freep Film Festival and Underground Railroad

Freep Film Festival and Underground Railroad

No school did more for the integration of college football than Michigan State coach Duffy Daugherty's Underground Railroad teams. The full story is told in Raye of Light. The book's foreword was written by Tony Dungy.Video of Detroit Free Press columnist Shawn Windsor...

Spartans are back but surprising school on top

Spartans are back but surprising school on top

By Tom ShanahanMichigan State is back among the top-ranked football-basketball programs in the 2017-18 school year after a one-year absence, while a couple of football schools from the ACC and SEC jumped onto the list with surprising basketball strength.Clemson -- yes, Clemson!...

History Loyola Chicago and Michigan State share

History Loyola Chicago and Michigan State share

Loyola Chicago's run to the NCAA Final Four is a good time to relate overlooked pioneering histories shared by Michigan State football and the Ramblers' basketball program. Two watershed moments that changed the color of college athletics belong to the Ramblers and the Spartans....

Washington documentary fundraising

Washington documentary fundraising

Maya Washington, daughter of Gene Washington,'s Michigan State two-time All-American wide receiver and College Football Hall of Famer, continues to seek funding to complete her documentary on Michigan State's leading role in the integration of college football. Washington was...

My Free Press story on Isaia and recruiting

My Free Press story on Isaia and recruiting

Jacob Isaia represents a new generation of college football recruits. The Michigan State commit used a modern method to handle exciting and puzzling experiences dealing with prospective coaches, programs and the media.Click here for link to the Detroit Free Press...

A time to lean on respect Magic helped build

A time to lean on respect Magic helped build

Five-star high school basketball recruit Zion Williamson’s surprise decision last month to join the crowd at Duke was yet another appreciation of Earvin “Magic” Johnson's Michigan State legacy. Johnson's own path established a long-lasting respect for the Spartans' basketball...

Reptapping Michigan State and Hawaii roots

Reptapping Michigan State and Hawaii roots

Jacob Isaia first traveled to Spartan Stadium as a sixth-grader growing up in Hawaii. His grandfather, Michigan State Hall of Famer Bob Apisa, brought him to a 2011 game that left a memorable impression.Kirk Cousins’ Hail Mary touchdown pass to Keith Nichol upset unbeaten and No....

My appearance on The Drive with Jack

My appearance on The Drive with Jack

The case for Duffy Daugherty and the Medal of FreedomMy appearance the Drive with Jack and Paul DavisMy segment discussing Raye of Light and Duffy Daugherty's impact on college football begins 1:31 into the program.* * *I invite you to follow me on Twitter @shanny4055Tom...

A general with innate West Point leadership

A general with innate West Point leadership

By Tom ShanahanOne game plan remains with X’s and O’s churning through Mark Dantonio’s mind. The Michigan State coach’s football brain and innate leadership that was worthy of a 1974 West Point appointment flipped the Spartans' 3-9 disaster last year to 9-3. He's wrapping up a...