Michigan State

RSS for Michigan State
Jimmy Raye ended black QB debate long ago

Jimmy Raye ended black QB debate long ago

Social progress and sports are indelibly intertwined with American history. It’s why Jackie Robinson, who broke Major League Baseball’s color line in 1947, remains an iconic figure that transcends athletics. Pioneers open closed roads and minds. Their ground-breaking efforts,...

Red Cedar film showing Wednesday on campus

Red Cedar film showing Wednesday on campus

Maya Washington, the daughter of Michigan State College Football Hall of Famer Gene Washington, is showing her  independent film “Through the Banks of the Red Cedar” for the first time on campus this week. The showing at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 26 at Wells Hall Room...

Edwards sighs over lost desert quarterbacks

Edwards sighs over lost desert quarterbacks

Herm Edwards recently appeared on a Michigan State-based sports talk radio show. Always engaging, insightful and entertaining, Arizona State's new football coach has been one of my favorites to deal with over the years. We all know him for his memorable lines, most notably this...

Raye named to Michigan State Hall of Fame

Raye named to Michigan State Hall of Fame

Jimmy Raye placed his first phone call upon learning he was named to Michigan State’s Hall of Fame to his old teammate and dear friend, Bob Apisa. Only a year earlier they played the other’s role on a phone call. “We shared a good cry together -- two 70-year-old men,” said Raye,...

Khari Willis adds to Dantonio off field resume

Khari Willis adds to Dantonio off field resume

Many numbers describe Mark Dantonio’s success re-awakening a Michigan State football program that once stood game among the college game’s giants in the 1950s and 1960s under Biggie Munn and Duffy Daugherty. Dantonio's resume is summarized in three paragraphs on MSUSpartans.com...

Barnett moves on as possible head coach

Barnett moves on as possible head coach

My story on Harlon Barnett from the ACC media days* * *I invite you to follow me on Twitter @shanny4055Tom Shanahan, Author: Raye of Light http://tinyurl.com/knsqtqu-- Book on Michigan State's leading role in the integration of college football. It explains Duffy Daugherty's...

Rogers threw Michigan State for a loop

Rogers threw Michigan State for a loop

So close yet so far. That always has been my first Darryl Rogers thought when recalling his arrival from California. He brought a progressive brand of football to rebuild Michigan State before his abrupt departure just four years later. He came so close to returning the...

My Free Press story with Roaf on Ragnow

My Free Press story with Roaf on Ragnow

By now, the slicing and dicing of Frank Ragnow's measurables is complete.The Detroit Lions examined the height, weight and quickness of the 6-foot-5, 312-pound center from Arkansas. They used their first-round draft pick on him. ... Click here for the Detroit Free...

The 1967 NFL Draft that changed face of the league

The 1967 NFL Draft that changed face of the league

A half-century ago the NFL Draft was so low key and simple NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle stood at a chalkboard in a New York hotel ballroom. He scrawled names in chalk as they were called out.The overwhelming anticipation hovering over the draft was not who would go where. It was...

Freep Film Festival and Underground Railroad

Freep Film Festival and Underground Railroad

No school did more for the integration of college football than Michigan State coach Duffy Daugherty's Underground Railroad teams. The full story is told in Raye of Light. The book's foreword was written by Tony Dungy.Video of Detroit Free Press columnist Shawn Windsor...