Michigan State

RSS for Michigan State
Shermanreport on Raye of Light

Shermanreport on Raye of Light

Thanks to Ed Sherman of the Shermanreport.com for posting a book report on Raye of Light. I appreciate that Ed recognized the book about Duffy Daugherty's Underground Railroad is an untold story.Click here: Shermanreport.com book report posted on Raye of LightClick...

Captain Mannie elected despite Chicago style voting

Captain Mannie elected despite Chicago style voting

A treasure trove of untold sports stories clearing a path to integration throughout society can be still uncovered a half-century later. The reason is the media avoided racial issues in the mid-20th century, including athletic milestones. This was demonstrated once again in...

Online USA Today story featuring Jimmy Raye

Online USA Today story featuring Jimmy Raye

Many thanks to USA Today ’s NFL writer Jarrett Bell for his excellent story on Jimmy Raye in the USA Today’s Special Edition for Black History Month.Click here: USA Today on-line version of Jimmy Raye feature written by USA Today NFL writer Jarrett...

Book signing on Feb 15 at Barnes and Noble in Cary

Book signing on Feb 15 at Barnes and Noble in Cary

Jimmy Raye and Tom Shanahan discussed their book Raye of Light and signed copies on Feb. 15, 2015 at the Barns and Noble in Cary, N.C. The address is 760 SE Maynard across form the Cary Towne Center. The phone number: 919-467-3866.Click here to purchase from publisher's...

Todd Peat Sr parental advice has been to step back

Todd Peat Sr parental advice has been to step back

I first spoke to Todd Peat Sr. five years ago, introducing myself and asking for his son Todd Jr., a Rivals 4-star recruit planning to visit San Diego State. He handed the phone to his namesake.That may sound natural to you, but trust me: it’s not always so. Not in a college...

Dean and Duffy shared MLK Dream

Dean and Duffy shared MLK Dream

I was still researching and writing “Raye of Light” when North Carolina basketball coach Dean Smith was named to receive the Medal of Freedom in a White House ceremony with President Obama in 2013.In addition to detailing Michigan State football coach Duffy Daugherty’s...

Names to remember today but soon to be forgotten

Names to remember today but soon to be forgotten

College football’s national letter-of-intent day makes TV stars and household names – well, in households of college football fans – out of high school players such as Byron Cowart, Josh Rosen and Iman Marshall. They are rated the top three 5-star prospects on Rivals.com’s...

USA Today features Jimmy Raye as trailblazer

USA Today features Jimmy Raye as trailblazer

Many thanks to USA Today ’s NFL writer Jarrett Bell for his excellent story on Jimmy Raye in the USA Today’s Special Edition for Black History Month. Click here: USA Today on-line version of Jimmy Raye feature written by USA Today writer Jarrett Bell. The story, with...

Looking back at Coach K and early lesson learned at Jenison

Looking back at Coach K and early lesson learned at Jenison

The first time I saw Mike Krzyzewski coaching was 40 years ago, but I was unaware at the time.Nobody on a fateful Jan. 4, 1975 afternoon at Michigan State's Jenison Fieldhouse was aware remotely how to spell or pronounce his name unless they were an Army basketball fan in the...

AFCA recognizes Michigan State and Ferris State trailblazer

AFCA recognizes Michigan State and Ferris State trailblazer

A full century later, Gideon Smith finally received just recognition from a national organization.Smith broke barriers throughout his life. He was the first black college football player at two Michigan schools, Ferris State and Michigan State. Later he blazed trails in coaching...