College Football

RSS for College Football
Cutcliffe plans to address targeting rule on rules committee

Cutcliffe plans to address targeting rule on rules committee

DURHAM, N.C. – The thoughts Duke coach David Cutcliffe expressed responding to a question about the targeting rule sounded similar to what other coaches believe.“Intent,” is the word he says is missing from the rule interpretation of helmet-to-helmet contact. ... Click...

Loss to ECU shows Virginia Tech out of gas under Frank Beamer

Loss to ECU shows Virginia Tech out of gas under Frank Beamer

A pattern seems to be developing that foreshadows a retirement announcement at season’s end from Frank Beamer, the man who built Virginia Tech into a national program.The buildup to each week’s game includes the opposing coach – from Ohio State’s Urban Meyer in the opener to the...

Syracuse could be a problem for ACC contenders

Syracuse could be a problem for ACC contenders

Beware Florida State, Clemson and North Carolina State of Syracuse in the ACC Atlantic.And be thankful ACC Coastal schools Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Miami and North Carolina that your crossover games don’t include Syracuse. Georgia Tech, of course, won’t overlook...

ACC races more wide open than expected

ACC races more wide open than expected

Four Saturdays into the season we’ve seen only a handful of ACC games, but that’s enough to understand how little we know. And that’s a good thing.The last year two years, Florida State’s dominance with back-to-back unbeaten conference crowns told us too much by this point in the...

Duke plays Cash game to beat Georgia Tech triple option

Duke plays Cash game to beat Georgia Tech triple option

DURHAM, N.C. – Georgia Tech opponents speak weekly with dear-in-the-headlights fear about facing the Yellow Jackets’ unique triple-option offense.But not Duke All-American safety Jeremy Cash. Add that to ways he separates himself from others. ...Click here for the rest of my...

Virginia Tech tries to avoid loss to nemesis East Carolina

Virginia Tech tries to avoid loss to nemesis East Carolina

Last week ESPN’s Michael Wilbon, a Big Ten graduate of Northwestern, said on his show Pardon the Interruption that Northern Illinois could finish fourth in the Big Ten.Agreeing or disagreeing with him (I disagree) isn’t the reason for this story. It’s to point out that East...

Syracuse sacrifices young team with game against LSU

Syracuse sacrifices young team with game against LSU

Syracuse is one of those programs perpetually in a rebuilding phase.So whose bright idea was it to schedule the Orange with 15 true freshmen – tied for fourth most in the nation – to play No. 6 LSU at 102,000-seat Death Valley? ... Click here for the rest of my Today's U...

NC State is a team to watch in the ACC Atlantic

NC State is a team to watch in the ACC Atlantic

North Carolina State started the season flying under the radar, but the Wolfpack’s 3-0 record is gradually lighting blips on the screen.The recognition is slow to spread due to the soft schedule the Wolfpack have played – defeating Troy 49-21, Eastern Kentucky 35-0 and Old...

Air deflated from Georgia Tech showdown with Duke

Air deflated from Georgia Tech showdown with Duke

Pftttt!That sound was air escaping the ACC’s marquee balloon to headline the conference’s otherwise quiet week ahead. ... Click here for the rest of my Today's U story

Soft schedule helps Florida State retain ranking

Soft schedule helps Florida State retain ranking

Unbeaten Florida State slipped from No. 9 to No. 10 in this week’s AP Top 25 poll, but that’s generous. I ranked them No. 14 in the Today’s U vote.Florida State (3-0) already has fallen out of the College Football Playoff conversation. The Seminoles’ up-and-down movement each...