College Football

RSS for College Football
Elliott proves not not all college athletes ready to speak up

Elliott proves not not all college athletes ready to speak up

Three days ago, Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott ran out of the Heisman Trophy conversation on his own. His faux pas were poor performance, immature comments and public criticism of his coaches in the aftermath of the Buckeyes’ 17-14 upset loss to Michigan State.After...

Virginia Tech reminds us why we love college football

Virginia Tech reminds us why we love college football

At Virginia Tech, the Hokies showed us what college football can still mean to players and fans alike.They lost a game that was important to send out Coach Frank Beamer a winner in his final home game despite a disappointing season. When they lost in overtime to North Carolina,...

Temple reminds AAC the Owls still in running

Temple reminds AAC the Owls still in running

I’m watching Temple thoroughly handle Memphis while at the same time noticing an ESPN ticker scroll across the bottom of the screen including reports of schools lined up to hire Memphis coach Justin Fuente away from the Tigers.Funny there was no mention of anyone trying to hire...

Clemson needs to pummel Wake Forest

Clemson needs to pummel Wake Forest

You can count on Clemson rolling up big numbers against Wake Forest Saturday at Memorial Stadium. The reasons are simple:On Oct. 3, Clemson was fortunate to survive a Notre Dame comeback with a 24-22 victory in the rain at home. ... Click here for the rest of my Today's U...

Virginia Tech poised to celebrate Frank Beamer Day

Virginia Tech poised to celebrate Frank Beamer Day

As soon as Virginia Tech’s Frank Beamer announced his retirement effective at the end of the season, ACC coaches with a date remaining against the Hokies other than the final home game likely reacted similarly.“Whew!” they must have said, wiping their foreheads. ... Click...

Two Touchdown Men at Navy and Ferris State

Two Touchdown Men at Navy and Ferris State

One of my favorite Sports Illustrated covers featured San Diego Chargers wide receiver John Jefferson in 1979 when I was new to San Diego.The photo was a sideline shot sans helmet taken from the shoulder pads up. With his head cocked to the side, he stared with a focused look...

College football roundtable

College football roundtable

College football never fails to deliver, does it?Almost predictably at this point, we had another weekend full of great action, an upset or two and a few more crazy finishes. ... Click here for the rest of my Today's U story

UCLA 1961 great untold story as precedent to Missouri

UCLA 1961 great untold story as precedent to Missouri

A long-forgotten story of the 1961 UCLA football team’s threatened boycott should be remembered this week as a precedent to Missouri’s successfully mounted boycott over campus racial issues.The stories are the similar, but different. ... Click here for the rest of my Today's...

Clemson survives Syracuse on a day of partity

Clemson survives Syracuse on a day of partity

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said it all about the age of parity in college football during post-game remarks that followed escaping upset-minded Syracuse.“It’s not a beauty pageant,” he said of the 34-27 victory Saturday at the Carrier Dome. “That’s la-la land. This is football....

Roundtable discussion on upsets and vacancies

Roundtable discussion on upsets and vacancies

It was another crazy weekend of college football, but that’s to be expected by now, right?We saw upsets, crazy plays, dominant performances and ultimately some guaranteed shakeups in the rankings. As we do every Monday, let’s take this past weekend to the CFB roundtable....