College Football

RSS for College Football
Duke plays Cash game to beat Georgia Tech triple option

Duke plays Cash game to beat Georgia Tech triple option

DURHAM, N.C. – Georgia Tech opponents speak weekly with dear-in-the-headlights fear about facing the Yellow Jackets’ unique triple-option offense.But not Duke All-American safety Jeremy Cash. Add that to ways he separates himself from others. ...Click here for the rest of my...

Virginia Tech tries to avoid loss to nemesis East Carolina

Virginia Tech tries to avoid loss to nemesis East Carolina

Last week ESPN’s Michael Wilbon, a Big Ten graduate of Northwestern, said on his show Pardon the Interruption that Northern Illinois could finish fourth in the Big Ten.Agreeing or disagreeing with him (I disagree) isn’t the reason for this story. It’s to point out that East...

Syracuse sacrifices young team with game against LSU

Syracuse sacrifices young team with game against LSU

Syracuse is one of those programs perpetually in a rebuilding phase.So whose bright idea was it to schedule the Orange with 15 true freshmen – tied for fourth most in the nation – to play No. 6 LSU at 102,000-seat Death Valley? ... Click here for the rest of my Today's U...

NC State is a team to watch in the ACC Atlantic

NC State is a team to watch in the ACC Atlantic

North Carolina State started the season flying under the radar, but the Wolfpack’s 3-0 record is gradually lighting blips on the screen.The recognition is slow to spread due to the soft schedule the Wolfpack have played – defeating Troy 49-21, Eastern Kentucky 35-0 and Old...

Air deflated from Georgia Tech showdown with Duke

Air deflated from Georgia Tech showdown with Duke

Pftttt!That sound was air escaping the ACC’s marquee balloon to headline the conference’s otherwise quiet week ahead. ... Click here for the rest of my Today's U story

Soft schedule helps Florida State retain ranking

Soft schedule helps Florida State retain ranking

Unbeaten Florida State slipped from No. 9 to No. 10 in this week’s AP Top 25 poll, but that’s generous. I ranked them No. 14 in the Today’s U vote.Florida State (3-0) already has fallen out of the College Football Playoff conversation. The Seminoles’ up-and-down movement each...

Notre Dame knocks off Georgia Tech and climbs ACC ladder

Notre Dame knocks off Georgia Tech and climbs ACC ladder

Notre Dame is down to its third quarterback, but the No. 8-ranked Irish look like they’re ahead of any ACC team in the hunt for a College Football Playoff.Notre Dame beat an ACC school for the second straight week, defeating No. 14 Georgia Tech 30-22 Saturday at home in a game...

Northwestern wears down Duke for coveted Ivy trophy

Northwestern wears down Duke for coveted Ivy trophy

DURHAM, N.C. – Northwestern’s 2015 schedule features eight Big Ten dates by conference office design and two Power 5 Ivy League games by athletic director Jim Phillips’ choice.The No. 23-ranked Wildcats have wrapped up the Power 5 Ivy title two weeks before Big Ten play begins....

All eyes on Clemson and Louisville in ACC opener

All eyes on Clemson and Louisville in ACC opener

Clemson appears to be moving forward to mid-season form with a 2-0 start.Louisville seems to be reversing tracks with a 0-2 record and in need of working on basics usually polished in fall camp. ... Click here for the rest of my Today's U story

The good and bad and ugly of ACC play

The good and bad and ugly of ACC play

The ACC schedule-maker combined the good and bad with Clemson and Louisville meeting in a Thursday night game with a primetime audience.The good is Clemson living up to preseason projections so far with a 2-0 start, but Louisville has been a disappointment at 0-2. The ACC would...