College Football

RSS for College Football
Two books recommended for Larry Fedora

Two books recommended for Larry Fedora

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The week that was for Larry Fedora and how he could have enlightened football fans while he waved the flag. First, Fedora put up a trial balloon equating American exceptionalism and football during a preseason football tour stop -- the Pigskin Preview...

Clawson sees new redshirt rule benefit

Clawson sees new redshirt rule benefit

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The NCAA’s recent rule change permitting freshmen to play up to four games without burning their redshirt season was met with universal approval, but the media buzz sounded like a golf clap. Not so when the ruling reached Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson. He...

Virginia Tech QB looks ahead to season

Virginia Tech QB looks ahead to season

My story in the Detroit Free Press on Josh Jackson from ACC media days* * *I invite you to follow me on Twitter @shanny4055Tom Shanahan, Author: Raye of Light http://tinyurl.com/knsqtqu-- Book on Michigan State's leading role in the integration of college football. It...

Ratliff Williams took switch and ran with it

Ratliff Williams took switch and ran with it

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- On every kickoff return, Anthony Ratliff-Williams sizes up many moving parts. All at once he must follow the ball, catch it and scan the field for tacklers, looking for running room. That skill takes a special knack, and the North Carolina redshirt junior has...

Dooley coaches on their sport and profession

Dooley coaches on their sport and profession

CARY, N.C. -- David Cutcliffe called for a show of hands.The Duke football coach was the veteran attending the 16th annual Pigskin Preview presented by the Bill Dooley Chapter of the National Football Foundation on Monday at the Embassy Suites Hotel. While seated at the dais...

Rogers threw Michigan State for a loop

Rogers threw Michigan State for a loop

So close yet so far. That always has been my first Darryl Rogers thought when recalling his arrival from California. He brought a progressive brand of football to rebuild Michigan State before his abrupt departure just four years later. He came so close to returning the...

More on Hall of Famer Willie Roaf

More on Hall of Famer Willie Roaf

“The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” – Mark Twain By Tom Shanahan  Let your mind wander for the length of this story to ponder the credible versus incredible. This story is about Willie Roaf, Michigan State and “what if”...

Building a fence not as easy as it sounds

Building a fence not as easy as it sounds

Dave Doeren made building a fence a priority upon his North Carolina State arrival five years ago. That effort to fence-in his new state’s growing population and corresponding talent base is holding its ground.Click here for AllSportsDiscussion.com link Doeren this weekend...

My story for MLBcom on evaluating prospects

My story for MLBcom on evaluating prospects

CARY, N.C -- The year-round schedule at the USA Baseball National Training Complex is filled with dates featuring prospects striving to develop skills worthy of catching the eye of Major League Baseball scouts. The suburban Raleigh-Durham facility hosts events ranging from...

Culpepper beats cancer to start comeback

Culpepper beats cancer to start comeback

He may spend the 2018 football season wearing a baseball cap, holding a clipboard and charting plays, but that doesn’t preclude Syracuse’s Rex Culpepper from ranking as leader in the clubhouse for comeback player of the year honors. The rising redshirt sophomore quarterback...