College Football

RSS for College Football
Montgomery fitting in at East Carolina

Montgomery fitting in at East Carolina

CARY, N.C. – Scottie Montgomery took his seat on the dais as East Carolina’s new head coach with Duke’s David Cutcliffe, his former boss, North Carolina’s Larry Fedora, N.C. State’s Dave Doeren and N.C. Central’s Jerry Mack.Staring back at him was a crowd of 1,000 fans that...

Hawaii coaching tree is sprouting

Hawaii coaching tree is sprouting

Miami – Ohio, not Florida – once widely enjoyed a college football reputation as the “Cradle of Coaches.”That was especially true in the 1970s, when three perennial national title contenders were directed by former Miami head coaches: Ohio State’s Woody Hayes, who was Miami’s...

Washington State extends global reach

Washington State extends global reach

Washington State invested $141 million in the past five years to improve the football experience for fans at Martin Stadium as well as the overall shine of facilities to aid the arms race of recruiting.From 2011 to 2014, the Cougars added 21 luxury suites and premium seating...

Temple building stronger foundation

Temple building stronger foundation

One sign that optimism surrounds Temple football for the 2016 season was the crowd of 3,500 that turned out for the Owls’ spring game at Chodoff Field.That may not sound like much in Tuscaloosa, but if you don’t realize 3,500 fans for a Temple spring game is a sign of great...

Bielema finds himself down in the SEC mud

Bielema finds himself down in the SEC mud

Long before Arkansas Coach Bret Bielema made his fame and fortune in football – his $4 million-a-year salary is in the upper half of SEC coaches — he grew up on a pig farm in the small town of Prophetstown, Ill.He played at Iowa, but since his major was marketing, maybe that’s...

My 2008 story on San Diego sports legend and DB Cooper

My 2008 story on San Diego sports legend and DB Cooper

Watching the recent History Channel documentary on D.B. Cooper reminded me of a story I wrote in 2008 about the passing of San Diego sports legend Joe Alston. In his other career, 30 years with the FBI, he had pursued Cooper and Patty Hearst.On Thanksgiving eve in 1971, a man...

Montgomery carving new identity at Tulsa

Montgomery carving new identity at Tulsa

A year ago Tulsa head coach Philip Montgomery arrived at the Oklahoma school from his high-profile stint as Baylor’s offensive coordinator. He was celebrated as an Art Briles protégé.Oh, how quickly things can change in a year. ... Click here for the rest of my Today's U...

Georgia Tech lost possession advantage

Georgia Tech lost possession advantage

The Georgia Tech triple-option offense is designed to control the ball and work the clock. Grind out yards, build a lead and keep the opponent’s offense on the sidelines.But what if the Yellow Jackets’ defense can’t get off the field? The triple-option isn’t suited to coming from...

Matt Ryan provides Boston College a boost

Matt Ryan provides Boston College a boost

These are obviously tough times for optimism at Boston College.One of the proven tonics for such a malady tempering preseason ticket sales is to bring a high-profile alumnus back to camps to remind the fan base what the program can produce. If he’s an NFL quarterback, that’s...

Texas could use talent at Louisville fields

Texas could use talent at Louisville fields

Louisville’s returning roster of 17 starters and five players named to preseason watch lists is topped by Lamar Jackson. The sophomore quarterback is on the Maxwell Award list and poised to join the Heisman Trophy conversation, too.Charlie Strong could use a roster like this one...