College Football

RSS for College Football
Remembering Brent Woodall

Remembering Brent Woodall

On the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorists attacks, I'm reminded of Brent Woodall. He was one of the victims, working as a 31-year-old stockbroker at the second of the World Trade Center towers that was hit. I first wrote about him as a football, basketball and baseball...

East Carolina and NC State transfer QBs meet

East Carolina and NC State transfer QBs meet

College football now exists in an era of free agency, especially for quarterbacks. QBs sign on with new schools — not for money, but in search of playing time.One theory so many head coaches waited until the last minute to name a starting quarterback for their openers – Alabama’s...

Cheap shot artists prove point made by Coach Logan

Cheap shot artists prove point made by Coach Logan

If you’ve wondered about the difference between coaching in college and the NFL, I heard what turned out to be a timely and profound explanation driving down the road Friday listening to Steve Logan.The veteran college and NFL coach’s comment directly applied to cheap shots...

North Carolina lets opportunity slip away

North Carolina lets opportunity slip away

It was a Kirby Smart win for Georgia and a not-so smart loss for North Carolina.For the second straight year, North Carolina, the defending ACC Coastal champion, showed it wasn’t ready to open the season against an SEC East opponent. ... Click here for the rest of my Today's...

Wake Forest offense lacks punch

Wake Forest offense lacks punch

Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson’s encouraging preseason words were tempered by opening-night results.The outcome was disappointing except for the “W” that marked a 7-3 win over Tulane Thursday night at BB&T Stadium. The performance demands a better follow-up in next week’s ACC...

Wolford and Hinton to share QB role

Wolford and Hinton to share QB role

Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson named true junior John Wolford as his starting quarterback for the third straight year, but count on seeing true sophomore Kendall Hinton, too.Wolford has the experience advantage as he makes his 23rd career start when Tulane visits the Demon...

Football teammates and roommates shape lives

Football teammates and roommates shape lives

Dino Babers and Duane Coleman met as wide-eyed college freshmen in 1979 at the University of Hawaii. They were football teammates and roommates that formed a fast and enduring friendship.“My kids call him uncle and his kids call me uncle,” Babers said. “They look at us and ask...

Truck driver father keeps rolling along

Truck driver father keeps rolling along

Semi-truck drivers know all the best places to stop across the country. If you accept that axiom, Steve Rochell is an authority on a visiting fan attending college football games.Rochell owns a semi-truck as an independent contractor. Whenever it’s possible, he combines work with...

North Carolina future in place

North Carolina future in place

This time six years ago North Carolina widely gained rankings among the top 20 in preseason polls.Optimism ran high in Chapel Hill as the Tar Heels, then coached by Butch Davis, prepared to open against LSU in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in Atlanta. The ACC hoped for credibility...

NC State lineman mentors third grader

NC State lineman mentors third grader

Back in 2015, Tony Adams and his North Carolina State teammates wrapped up spring drills when he was asked to meet with a Raleigh first-grader. He was exceptionally large for his age yet struggling with behavior and academics.Adams, a 6-foot-2, 315-pounder offensive lineman,...