Army

RSS for Army
Bradshaw works at balancing act with Army offense

Bradshaw works at balancing act with Army offense

A quick analysis of Army West Point football’s four-year bowl drought is to compare the Black Knights' anemic passing game to numbers Air Force and Navy posted the past two years while they split the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy. For the 2014 season, Air Force earned the trophy...

Army offensive line gaining ground

Army offensive line gaining ground

Matt Hugenberg, Army's senior returning starting center, provides an interesting contrast of how far the Black Knights have progressed at the critical need of improving their size on the offensive line. “I think I’m the only one they told to lose weight,” said Hugenberg, listed...

Army debuts rebranding West Point athletics

Army debuts rebranding West Point athletics

Army's efforts to rebrand the West Point athletic program with logo and uniform identity reminds of Michigan State's successful effort a few years ago.Athletic Director Mark Hollis noted that several schools are known for a Black "S" that Michigan State used. But now the...

King measuring up as Army middle linebacker

King measuring up as Army middle linebacker

You can tell Army recruited Andrew King as something other than a bruising middle linebacker by his jersey number. He still wears No. 11 as a 6-foot, 235-pounder. That’s for quarterbacks or quick little running backs. King was never a “little” running back, but his growth...

Another West Point influence on Okafor

Another West Point influence on Okafor

College basketball fans understand the West Point leadership influence upon Duke basketball through Capt. Mike Krzyzewski (U.S. Army retired), a West Point graduate, former Army basketball player and head coach and the 35th-year general of the Blue Devils. But another strong...

Okafor takes team game from Chicago to Duke

Okafor takes team game from Chicago to Duke

Jahlil Okafor’s basketball identity grows nationally with each televised game the Duke freshman plays, but it is still basically this simple: He’s the big kid projected as the first pick of the 2015 NBA Draft. Similarly, Okafor arrived at Chicago’s Whitney Young High four...

West Point career grades out at Waldorf Astoria

West Point career grades out at Waldorf Astoria

The journey toward Terry’s Baggett’s collegefootball denouement began with a recruiting pitch from a Penn assistant coach angled to favor the Philadelphia Ivy League school at the expense of West Point.Instead, the Chicago Whitney Young running back felt challenged to learn more...

Looking back at Coach K and early lesson learned at Jenison

Looking back at Coach K and early lesson learned at Jenison

The first time I saw Mike Krzyzewski coaching was 40 years ago, but I was unaware at the time.Nobody on a fateful Jan. 4, 1975 afternoon at Michigan State's Jenison Fieldhouse was aware remotely how to spell or pronounce his name unless they were an Army basketball fan in the...

Army D lineman Drummond relished opportunity at Medal of Honor Bowl

Army D lineman Drummond relished opportunity at Medal of Honor Bowl

Army defensive lineman Joe Drummond sat with rapt attention as the coaching staff for the Medal of Honor Bowl Game addressed college football all-stars selected for the game that serves a scouting tool.The coaches for the exhibition played on Jan. 10 in Charleston, S.C., included...

True American baseball and war hero passes away

True American baseball and war hero passes away

My guess is most young readers are unaware of Jerry Coleman, who passed away Sunday in San Diego at age 89. The decorated war hero and baseball legend succumbed to complications from a head injury suffered from a fall in December.Coleman’s lengthy career as a baseball player and...