Archived

RSS for Archived
Book tells rise and fall methodically and fairly

Book tells rise and fall methodically and fairly

Let me first explain I initially came across Tigers Woods at the 1986 San Diego Junior World. I saw a 10-year-old brat and a pushy father, Earl. More on that later, but this was obviously long before his Shakespearean rise and fall. With that frame of reference, any book on...

Navy sinks debate about conference play

Navy sinks debate about conference play

Despite some doomsday predictions joining the American Athletic Conference could backfire on Navy football, not much has changed as the Midshipmen enter their fourth year in the league.Navy has posted winning seasons all three years, captured the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy in...

More on Hall of Famer Willie Roaf

More on Hall of Famer Willie Roaf

“The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” – Mark Twain By Tom Shanahan  Let your mind wander for the length of this story to ponder the credible versus incredible. This story is about Willie Roaf, Michigan State and “what if”...

Building a fence not as easy as it sounds

Building a fence not as easy as it sounds

Dave Doeren made building a fence a priority upon his North Carolina State arrival five years ago. That effort to fence-in his new state’s growing population and corresponding talent base is holding its ground.Click here for AllSportsDiscussion.com link Doeren this weekend...

My story for MLBcom on evaluating prospects

My story for MLBcom on evaluating prospects

CARY, N.C -- The year-round schedule at the USA Baseball National Training Complex is filled with dates featuring prospects striving to develop skills worthy of catching the eye of Major League Baseball scouts. The suburban Raleigh-Durham facility hosts events ranging from...

Army and Duke opener deserves spotlight

Army and Duke opener deserves spotlight

Army-Duke is overshadowed among marquee college football season openers this season. Michigan-Notre Dame, Louisville-Alabama and Miami-LSU are the luminous matchups. Nonetheless, Army-Duke is one of the more intriguing games pairing two teams that are looking to build on last...

Culpepper beats cancer to start comeback

Culpepper beats cancer to start comeback

He may spend the 2018 football season wearing a baseball cap, holding a clipboard and charting plays, but that doesn’t preclude Syracuse’s Rex Culpepper from ranking as leader in the clubhouse for comeback player of the year honors. The rising redshirt sophomore quarterback...

Jordyn Adams may have edge on Kyler Murray

Jordyn Adams may have edge on Kyler Murray

College football and pro baseball fans quickly recognized and connected Kyler Murray as having a choice to make once the Oakland A’s selected him with the ninth pick of last week’s Major League Baseball draft.Click here for AllSportsDiscussion linkAfter all, he’s Oklahoma’s...

Clemson defensive line without challengers

Clemson defensive line without challengers

Dabo Swinney finds himself in the unique position of facing a quarterback battle between returning starter Kelly Bryant and a true freshman Trevor Lawrence, but the Clemson coach has no such distinctive challenges on the defensive line.He’s got four anchors in place as returning...

My Free Press story with Roaf on Ragnow

My Free Press story with Roaf on Ragnow

By now, the slicing and dicing of Frank Ragnow's measurables is complete.The Detroit Lions examined the height, weight and quickness of the 6-foot-5, 312-pound center from Arkansas. They used their first-round draft pick on him. ... Click here for the Detroit Free...