ACC

RSS for ACC
North Carolina athletes fail to live up to past

North Carolina athletes fail to live up to past

Back in November, I wrote about the 1961 UCLA football team’s threat to boycott the Rose Bowl on New Year’s Day of 1962. I compared the highly principled-but-little-known moment in sports history to Missouri’s threatened boycott last season.In both cases, a unified front from the...

ACC coaches want traditional rivalry dates

ACC coaches want traditional rivalry dates

The subject of traditional football dates came up at the recent ACC meetings in Amelia Island, Fla.Florida State Coach Jimbo Fisher and Clemson Coach Dabo Swinney – two men with SEC assistant coachzing backgrounds – were among those that believe an effort to build regular rivalry...

New ACC replay rule a year late for Duke and Cutcliffe

New ACC replay rule a year late for Duke and Cutcliffe

Duke’s David Cutcliffe is more honest and thoughtful with the media than most football coaches. I bring this up because of the ACC’s new instant replay rule, one which adopts a system similar to the NFL.In addition to on-site game officials reviewing a play, a crew of two to...

North Carolina risks future NCAA and ACC events

North Carolina risks future NCAA and ACC events

Last week’s annual ACC spring meetings presented an opportunity to discuss North Carolina’s recently passed House Bill 2, controversial legislation in a state with four charter members – Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State and Wake Forest.Let’s hope ACC commissioner John Swofford, a...

Virginia on a roll to justify top seed

Virginia on a roll to justify top seed

Ah, so that’s why Virginia earned a No. 1 seed.That’s what most us should be thinking after the Cavaliers advanced to the Elite Eight with a convincing 84-71 win over fourth-seeded Iowa State on Friday night in the Midwest Regional game at the United Center in Chicago....

Expanson has exposed old ACC as overrated

Expanson has exposed old ACC as overrated

This may surprise you, but for the first time since 2008, North Carolina cut down the nets to claim an ACC Tournament title. The Tar Heels beat Virginia, 61-57, Saturday night in Washington, D.C. ... Click here for the rest of my Today's U story

Pitt slowly becoming a contender in ACC Coastal

Pitt slowly becoming a contender in ACC Coastal

Pittsburgh is now the Virginia state champion. The Panthers have beaten Virginia Tech and Virginia in back-to-back weekends.That, of course, is not enough to make for a successful season. But slowly – it’s too soon to say surely – first-year Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi has...

Air deflated from Georgia Tech showdown with Duke

Air deflated from Georgia Tech showdown with Duke

Pftttt!That sound was air escaping the ACC’s marquee balloon to headline the conference’s otherwise quiet week ahead. ... Click here for the rest of my Today's U story

The good and bad and ugly of ACC play

The good and bad and ugly of ACC play

The ACC schedule-maker combined the good and bad with Clemson and Louisville meeting in a Thursday night game with a primetime audience.The good is Clemson living up to preseason projections so far with a 2-0 start, but Louisville has been a disappointment at 0-2. The ACC would...

Long ACC weekend of help or hurt for the openers

Long ACC weekend of help or hurt for the openers

Thank you, ACC.The conference presented us with a fan friendly opening Labor Day weekend with 14 teams playing from Thursday through Monday night. Some of the games are more important than others toward the ACC’s goal of shedding the label of No. 5 in overall strength among the...